Sunday 26 August 2007

Six month report!

It seems amazing that we have been here six months already. I'm not sure what we have achieved in that time although Rob has organised all the paintings for the exhibition in London and may even have persuaded some people to become corporate members of UCU to help keep the funding coming in for more conservation projects.



As for me, I have thoroughly enjoyed teaching both pre-service students and in-service teachers and hope some of it will help them have the enthusiasm to teach in often very difficult situations. I have some images of the college and teaching which made me look twice and will perhaps highlight some of the differences in a teacher training college in a third world country! Here is the Teachers' Resource Centre and my office! In the background you can see the washing! The compound is always draped with washing and students with their bowls and buckets scrubbing busily!

Here I am teaching some in-sevice teachers in a classroom at the adjacent primary school. This is the school compound with the 'bell' hanging from the tree!






I have really enjoyed supervising the students on teaching practice. They co-teach, these two in a Primary one class.















Then, the accomodation........... students live in dormitories like this with all their belongings stored in trunks and suitcases in any space they can find. They fetch water in jerry cans from taps around the compound and there are latrines (long drop toilets) across the other side of the compound.









Here is one of the Lecture Theatres where I teach the second year students. This is the one that sometimes has a bat hanging in the roof! There can be 50-80 students in a class, the occasional interesting bird and sometimes chickens.

To finish..... my overall thoughts about this adventure which I know proved to some that I was mad and needed my 'bumps felt' (!!!) is one of continued surprise, enjoyment and some frustrations. I love the way people here always greet you with a smile and ask, 'how are you?' It still brings a smile when I see what can be carried on a bicycle...this week it was at least 6 folded foam mattresses stacked high above the man pedalling and another with a wardrobe and of course at least 4 crates of beer! The frustrations of having so few resources and that so many of the students struggle to pay fees or buy books or stationery, the intermittent electricity,water or internet. The fact that a 10 o'clock meeting starts a 11.30 if you are lucky! The daily diet of matooke, rice, beans and posho.......but it is all worth it when the students give me a round of applause for a lesson they enjoy, the fact they are so keen to learn and will take part and try out different ways of teaching and learning. The last photo of the college students dancing at the graduation represents the colourful, enthusiasm and fun which has made this first six months an incredible, unforgettable experience!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Can't believe it's been 6 months already! Alice also sounds like she's having fun in a 'far-off land', she's hardly stopped travelling since she arrived in England.
I'm enjoying ICU - long busy shifts, but plenty of time off as well.
Ed

Alice said...

England is missing you both!